Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 10, 2014 – Baptism’s Around the Corner - Week 6 in Sibu Jaya

So, the good news! My cast comes off on Wednesday! Good thing too, I’m getting truly sick of it! All the members say that if they were me they would have slid their hand out by now (putting it back in when they go to the doctor again), they don't particularly trust doctors all that much.

Also, not sick from the water!!!

Breakfast today was Pau, a Chinese food. Basically it’s like bread with filling. Today I had a buttermilk one and a peanut one. They cook it by steaming it. The crust is very thin and a bit chewy, the whole thing is moist and delicious.

We are waiting for transfers. This morning Sister Mains sent me a text asking about my wrist, I answered that it was good the cast would come off Wednesday. After that she replied saying “that’s great! See you Wednesday night...." The only way I would see her on Wednesday night is if I go to Singapore... However if I transfer to Singapore I would be leaving Thursday morning, which makes me believe that maybe I am training. There are a bunch of Malay elders coming in.... But if I’m training that means that either Elder Chan is leaving or I am leaving and am whitewash training somewhere else....

The work this week was great. We went to see Brother John again last night, he wasn’t so bad, we’ve figured our new approach will be to just focus on him, and it seemed to work.

Sister Lulong is doing good, we put her and her 2 sisters Ida and Talot on date for the 15th of November. They each own a door in the mini 3 door longhouse. They are way cool.

Victoria had to work again...

Phillip is solid as always.

New investigator! So basically the other Elders met this guy while out and about, his name is Sigai. Last year he was working in Miri and started learning from the sisters there. He’s way smart, and pretty much gets everything and can explain it back. Way cool guy. We met him on Thursday, we sit down start talking for a bit and he’s like, "I really wanted to be baptized before but then I came back and was too shy to ask about it" way cool. Shared the restoration and put him on date for the 20th of September. His family is a bit sketchy... Basically his former wife cheated on him with a Muslim guy and then left him and entered Islam... He is good legally, we saw his IC card, but we think some of his children are Muslim now. Anyway, he came to church and stayed the whole time but then had to take off to catch the boat to Kapit. He comes back Saturday. We will meet him again this week after he comes back and see how it goes.

Speaking of Muslims, we can talk to them all we want, just not about the gospel. This family was a member’s sister who married into Islam, they have been having the missionaries over for raya for years. We typically have English class every week at one of the members homes. This week, at English class, there were 2 Muslims. When I was in Matang we were good friends with the Muslim owner of the restaurant next to the church. They really aren’t all that scary, promise.

30 minutes till transfers come (theoretically). Very "transfer trunky" right now. I really want to just stay in Sibu Jaya.

Yesterday, after Church, Sister Seleha invited us over for lunch and after that we took her to her cousin’s Kampung just down the road. We talked with them for a while and they asked us to come back later this week and teach them. Way cool. Also I don’t think a white person had come there before, there was a lot more staring and shyness than usual. They gave us a LOT of "cempedak." It doesn’t have an English name. Just a scientific one. Google it. Same stuff we picked from the jungle last week. Anyway, when we went last week we picked like 20 of these things. I thought they were going to sell them. Nope, just for eating.  I have had more of this stuff this week than rice and noodles combined, that’s saying something. Raw, fried, the seeds soaked and boiled you name it I’ve eaten it.

No answer on extending yet.

David, good job on the priesthood! I know you will be a great Deacon.

Something I forgot to tell you guys before, I have been put in charge of the Primary here.... Long story. Basically though, I showed up on the first Sunday and President Clement comes up to me and says "go, teach primary"... No plan no nothing... There are 7-15 children, ages 5-11, no classes, no music, one room, 2 hours..... Anyway, last week, a new senior couple, the Mills, came to Sibu Jaya. They have taken over planning primary. Now I just do singing time and teach the 5-8 year old class. This is much better.

You guys are AWESOME!

Transfers were not what anyone expected.... Elder hill is leaving Elder Strathearn. Elder Strathearn’s new companion is Elder Blackwelder, I’ve met him before, cool guy. Elder Chan is leaving, he will be finishing his mission in Miri as a Chinese Elder. Sometimes transfers incite rage in missionaries, this is one of those times, Elder Chan is not happy. Anyway I will be staying here, Elder Kavapalu will be replacing Elder Chan. He is Polynesian, for once I won’t be the biggest person around.


love,
Elder Halpin

still waiting for transfers....



Love,
Elder Halpin




If this doesn't sum up my first four weeks at church nothing does.

Getting Cempedak

Lulong in white, Ida in stripes and Talot next to me.








No comments:

Post a Comment